Sunday, May 1, 2011

Tomato Soup

I bought a whole pack of organic local tomatoes at the supermarket the other day thinking that I would be using it. A few days passed by and I still haven't cooked anything using tomatoes. As they were getting riper and I had a whole bunch to use, I decided to make tomato soup.

Found these 2 recipes online 
and decided to make a mix of the two :)

Feel free to use whichever recipe I linked above or my adapted version. My version would include a bit more garlic and no salt as I tend to omit salt in my recipes whenever possible. I also mixed in some roux as I've never tried that before and wanted to experiment with it. Just go with what works with your tastebuds!

Easy, Fresh Tomato Soup 

4 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped (about 8-10 medium sized tomatoes)
1 medium sized onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth (or veg stock or a mix of both)
1-2 teaspoons brown sugar, or to taste

* Optional - For the roux:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil. Using medium heat, cook the onions until translucent and then add the garlic. Cook for a few minutes but don't let it brown.

Add in the tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are soft. Add in sugar to taste and it's done!

* If you want the soup thickened, make a roux by melting the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and mix it well. Stir constantly as you don't want the roux to burn. You will see the yellow color start to become darker. Cook until it is medium brown. If small black specks start to appear, it has burned and you will need to start over as it will give a bitter taste. Once it's done, whisk in a bit of the tomato soup and then stir in the rest.


Notes:
  • Most recipes would require you to blend the soup but I prefer my soup chunky as it gives a rustic and more wholesome look. Okay, I'll admit that I'm a bit lazy as well.
  • Having the roux thickened the soup and it really was nice, but it can also do without for a healthier soup.
  • Or, you can add 1 cup of milk or cream instead for a 'bisque'.
  • Had the leftover soup the next day and it was even more delicious!
  • I would have added carrots and celery if I had them. Maybe about 1/2 - 1 cup each. If I did, I would have chopped them roughly about the same size to let it cook evenly. 
  • If I felt I need some meat in the dish, I'd add tiny meatballs!

But, wait!

I also tried this method today and it's another way to get a thickened soup without doing a separate roux.

Easy Tomato Bisque from ehow.com.

I used the same ingredients as my recipe above. The ehow.com recipe is a bisque, so it calls for half-and-half. I'm just doing a normal tomato soup.

The alternative method:

Heat the olive oil. Cook the onions with sugar. Add in garlic and cook a little more. Add 1 tablespoon flour and stir constantly for 1 about minute.  Add in the chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes until the soup has thickened. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment