Thursday, June 30, 2011

Homemade Ice Cream

Since the weather was getting hot, I decided baking time is over (for a while). I scoured the net for easy ice-cream recipes that I could make without an ice-cream maker. I try to avoid buying kitchen equipment that can only do one thing because I don't like clutter.

Anyway, I found recipes where you make a custard on the stovetop and then freeze, but then you had to check and whisk it every half-hour or so. I was feeling quite lazy to do that and just wanted a yummy and EASY recipe.

Then I found the holy grail. Who knew, just 3 simple ingredients could make a lovely vanilla ice-cream? And all you had to do was mix it and chuck it in the freezer for 6 hours before it's ready! No stovetop required. No checking in every 30 minutes. No nothing. So simple!

I decided to make just plain vanilla and if I wanted anything fancy in it, I'd just mix it in before eating. That way my ice-cream will be more versatile.


Easy Homemade Ice Cream without a Machine
Recipe from Kevin and Amanda (thanks guys!)

2 cups heavy cream
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 vanilla pod or 1-2 tsp vanilla extract

Pour the condensed milk into your ice cream container (I used one of the commercial ice cream containers I had in my cupboard), and then mix in the vanilla.

Whip the heavy cream to stiff peaks. Use a mixer if you have one. I was only armed with a large balloon whisk and metal bowl, so I got a pretty good arm workout. A blender works too (my friend tried it!).

Fold the whipped cream into your ice cream container. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or until set. I did it the night before and had a lovely ice cream dessert for lunch the next day :)


Everyone who tried the ice-cream could NOT believe the ingredients and they all agreed it was creamy and better than commercial ice-cream. It's amazing! Try it and let your friends think you had to slave away in the kitchen without an ice-cream maker :p

My father-in-law had a bowl and told me to throw away the recipe as it was ruining his diet. He didn't want me to make it anymore. Little does he know how simple it is. The ingredients are already etched in my brain :)

No comments:

Post a Comment